Adventures in Twitterland

Two weeks ago, I was fumbling around on Twitter in a serious tangent on an unproductive day. (yep, just that one day...) I was not entirely new to the social networking experience and was adding “what are you doing now” type tweets every so often engaging in a little self absorption. But on that day, I tried something entirely different. I listened. I started to read interesting blogs about how to get the most out of Twitter, explored links to strange new places, heard people, absorbed advice and then realized I had lost hours of time...From that day forth, my Twitter experience evolved like an emergence from a chrysalis.

Suddenly, Twitter no longer served as a glorified test messaging diary but turned into a powerful networking entity. (I hear many of you saying, “duh...”) The loudest message came from sage social networker, Scott Stratten, big time microblogger and self-proclaimed Speaker & Jedi of viral marketing. He regularly tweets, “daily reminder to read other tweets and comment/reply/retweet. Nothing about you. Build, interact, give.” Simply stated, but also the crux of what makes Twitter so valuable. It was my first lightbulb Twitter moment.

Here are a few actions that I took making my Adventures in Twitterland profound this last week.

Say thank you. Ask how you can help.
Let’s face it. We are all short on time. But earnest expression of gratitude and extension of help are actions well worth their time. The Twitter experience will feel cold if you don’t reach out to people so be genuine, thoughtful, interested and see what ensues. I assure you. You’ll be glad you did. Who knows, you may connect with some great people. If you’re lucky, you’ll gain recognition and the business will follow. People like Graham Smith @imjustcreative, and Rajesh Pancholi @r27 , Scott Stratten @unmarketing, Talent Revolution member Laurie Ruettimann sent me out in their network and because of them my followers went from 67 to 500 in less than two weeks.

Learn by following links.
Without taking a moment to enter a link, you are just walking down a hallway without ever opening a door. What an incredible resource it can be if used properly. A friend sent me a “how to” link instructing me the proper way to clean sticky keyboard keys because I had asked in a tweet. Here are two great links: an interview from Paddy Donnelly's awesome blog with Guy Kawasaki, THE man on all things Twitter "How I Twitter" And another from Calvin Lee of Mayhem Studios resident “really nice guy” and how he twitters. Spend a bit of time clinking those links and you'll learn volumes.

Retweet. I repeat, retweet.
So much information streams by you like speed boats on the water so I started marking cool/funny/insiteful tweets as “favorites”. That way, I could share by rebroadcasting (retweet or RT) them with my followers who may not have benefited from them the first time around. If you see something that stops you or moves you, retweet it. This is also one way you can say thanks to folks who have helped you.

Shed the ego.
For some in Twitterland, followers are a status symbol. Yes, Twitter appeals to the narcissist in all of us and yes, it is nice on the ego when people reach out to you. But the moment you stop seeing followers as a “SUM” and see them as “SOMEONE” is the moment that twitter becomes meaningful. (Not that Guy Kawasaki’s 53,602 followers don’t make his experience meaningful :)

Take some time each week to find cool people to follow. Engage.
Take advantage of follow friday where people send tweets listing folks they recommend. I save these as favorites and add them during the week. People whose tweet style I like, typically have spot on recommendations. I have connected with awesome folks this way.

Believe in the Karma.
There is a Buddhist philosophy about Karma that goes something like this: Good Karma has pure intentions.Often Tweeter’s intentions are see-through. If you send a direct message (DM) that includes your website, your blog, your product before a relationship is established, your intention is self-serving and transparent. If you are trying to get a buck of Twitter in a DM, you’re going about it the wrong way. Dig in. You are sure to find ways to bolster your online business or add revenue to your pockets. The information is out there if you search. Do good for others for no reason. Think honestly about your intentions.

Mind your manners
My mom often said, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” The rule applies in Twitterland. In my decades in business, I have learned that good manners make the work place fun and profitable. Promote nice. Play nice. Be nice.

Hopefully, you'll find these tips useful. I don’t expect you to have the same awakening that I experienced in my last week or so on Twitter, but I want you to have this information so you as least have the opportunity. May your Adventures in Twitterland be brilliant and fun.

2 comments:

February 7, 2009 at 4:34 PM Calvin Lee said...

Nice little article with great tips!! Thanks for the mention, honored. :)

- Cal

April 6, 2009 at 9:34 AM Leigh said...

Cal, you are an idol :) and friend!

Post a Comment