The 2 biggest little words

With business booming, contacts growing, and life in general flourishing, I find it important to take a moment to consider the impact of two little words. Thank you.

Because I feel luck abounds in my personal and professional life, I have started to take daily pause in my day to thank 5, maybe 10 people giving gratuity where due and perhaps surprising someone with a little grateful spirit. What has happened since is remarkable.

The notion came to me when my husband Paul left a post it note on the mirror saying “Thanks for being my wife.” Simple. Yet I folded it and put in my billfold and carried it with me. What I realized was a) I’ve got a keeper and b) that we share a fundamental need to be recognized, to be appreciated.

I am rather new to social networking and have begun to make my way around some networking sites like Facebook, Linked-In, Talent Revolution-the career networking site that serves as a second job for me and my new fave, Twitter. What I noticed that in all of them I was amazed by how many times I saw those two little BIG words. “Thank you for your kind words.” “Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.” “Thanks for your awesomeness.” “Thanks for the follow...” “Thanks for opening my eyes...”

Not only is gratuity a noble habit, but it is a great business approach. The amount it takes to shoot an email, a text message, a phone call to a client is trace. The impact of those little words can loom large. In my recent Adventures in Twitterland, I decided that I was going to use my manners, be my socially true self, and reach out to ALL my followers with a little thank you note because I felt it was the right thing to do. Nevermind, that I am now hundreds of folks behind in my “hello” notes as I visit all websites looking for what drives that person. I have considered Twitter tools advised by others like the auto direct message (DM) and have opted out. They don’t ring true to me. But at least they contain those two words, Thank you. (so if you just started following me, please be patient :)

What ensued from a habit of saying “thank you” earnestly was a big giant snowball of good stuff. Connections with fabulous folks, mentions here and there, new business, unsolicited assistance. You name it. Good things come to those who are grateful. I’m living proof.

Instead, I have been sending roughly 30 people a day a genuine “thank you” letting them know that they have been impactful, kind, eye opening, a good father, mother, or friend. A sage business associate, a good well-manner kid. Don’t forget to shed light on the kindness of others. Especially, the ones right next to us. It can be for big stuff or little stuff. (like a note in my daughter’s book bag that says, “Thanks for your big smile. It makes me happy.” You may be lucky enough to make someone else’s day.

And...thank you for taking the time to read this blog. Now go forth and thank a few special people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment