Ready, Set....




Remember the summer you were seven? Remember your toes hanging over the end of the dock, your heels defiantly holding firm? You hold the hand of your big cousin who has done this before and assures you you'll be fine. Your heart beats harder and you tighten your grip.

What's under the surface? What will it feel like? Will it hurt me?

And then something inside you triggers your body to take the plunge...and JUMP.

I had that same feeling a little while back while I held my finger over the enter button on my computer. My photography business had just begun and my website was about to launch....as soon as I pressed enter.

What's under the surface? What will it feel like? Will it hurt me?

And then I jumped! Yes, I was worried people wouldn't like my photographic style, that I would fail, that something would jump up and bite me. But I pressed enter. And emerged smiling and grateful for the challenge.

We, Jen, Ria, Suzanne, Morgan and I, want to share your adult thrills with you. We've been building a grown up clubhouse called Looking Glass Lane. You've seen us tweet about it but perhaps you haven't quite understood the function. We are the girls who will challenge you to stand at the end of the dock, and....JUMP. We are trigger pullers, dock jumpers, mischief makers, buzz generators, and cocktail party hostesses all in one (so hard to label.) Just because you are bigger, you are flanked with little ones of your own, you are running a company, or you're feeling fully "growed" these days doesn't mean you can't take advice from the seven year old inside of you.







For instance, here are a few nuggets of advice from my little self: (Leigh, age 5, shown above flirting with the photographer. I have rocks and snakes in my pocket, I guarantee it.)
  • Don't go places without wearing pockets. Treasures are everywhere and you only have two hands and one mouth.
  • Anything boys can do, you can too. Prolly better.
  • Laughing is THE best. Laughing should be a daily dose thing like water, sugar and food.
  • Shut your eyes 5 times a day, take a deep breath and snap a mental picture. You can replay them at night if you can sleep or if you're grounded.
  • When picking up snakes, don't grab 'em where they can bite you.
  • Oh, and hide candy in your pockets jus in case you do get grounded.
  • Chocolate melted in the sun is the finest chocolate. Just don't step in it! And melted in your pocket isn't good.
  • When grown ups look sad, hugging them helps. Or see if you can offer to fold clothes or get the mail while they happy up.
  • Be nice to your friends. Or they won't be your friends. And it's really hard to play kickball all by yourself.

While The Lane site is still under construction, we have already conjured up wonderful like-minded adventurers who have become part of the Looking Glass Community. They have written dossiers, demonstrated bravery, have inspired US, and have worn the team colors during our adventures thus far.

We're ready for shenanigans. We envision a site that will have you thinking, sharing and daring. Like Alice in Wonderland, we invite you to jump down the rabbit hole.

We are waiting for you...and we're already sure you CAN.

2 comments:

June 30, 2009 at 1:29 PM Miss Ive said...

Leigh,

I LOVE it. (not getting sappy again after the cry baby appearance last night—promise)

Seriously, your advice is brilliant. My favorite:

"Be nice to your friends. Or they won't be your friends. And it's really hard to play kickball all by yourself."

Can't wait to climb more trees with you.

Jen/MissIve

July 2, 2009 at 1:17 PM Suzanne said...

that pic of you at 5 years old...so cute i could eat you UP! hope you are wearing pigtails alot this weekend at the lake...'cause they are YOU girl. own it. own it. *wink*

thanks for a fabulous skip down childhood memorie lane...i hoep to be spending lot more time there with you and the other LookingGlassLane girls.

Post a Comment